- Best Free Antivirus Software
- Free Anti Antivirus Software Download
- Free Antivirus Anti Malware Software
- Free Antivirus Installation Software Downloads
- Windows Antivirus software, free download
Antivirus programs help prevent viruses and spyware from infecting a computer and therefore are one of the essential software programs each computer should have running at all times. There are thousands of viruses and spyware on the Internet, and any one of them can cause damage to personal files or the computer's operating system.
Join 435 million others and get award-winning free antivirus for PC, Mac & Android. Surf safely & privately with our VPN. Download Avast today! Free antivirus software is great. But it gets even better. Whether you choose free or full protection, you've got impressive security that even updates itself automatically. And with a cutting-edge virus scanner that blocks and removes viruses, you can be reassured that you. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is a free antivirus software especially designed to protect your Windows PC. Quick to install and light on computer resources, it is good for gaming, image and video editing, and resource-intensive applications. Avast Antivirus Download Center. Protect your Windows 10 PC against viruses, ransomware, spyware, and other types of malware with Avast Free Antivirus. Used by more than 400 million people around the world, our free antivirus is fully compatible with Windows 10 and 8.1 It includes a password manager, browser cleaner, and Wi-Fi Inspector to. In its review of the best free antivirus software for PC, Mashable notes that AVG AntiVirus FREE has the most accurate antivirus protection and malware detection, saying, “AVG AntiVirus FREE is near flawless with its ability to detect viruses and malware. It's unlikely anything is getting through this.” Download AVG AntiVirus FREE.
If your computer does not have an antivirus program installed and running, we highly recommend you install one today. Follow the steps below for help on how to install and update an antivirus program on your computer.Tip
All new versions of Microsoft Windows now include Windows Defender to help protect your computer from viruses.
Install the antivirus program
To install an antivirus program on your computer, follow the steps below.
- If you purchased the antivirus program from a retail store, insert the CD or DVD into the computer's disc drive. The installation process should start automatically, with a window opening to help guide you through the install process.
- If you downloaded the antivirus program on the Internet, find the downloaded file on your computer. If the downloaded file is a zip file, unzip the file to extract and access the installation files. Look for a file named setup.exe, install.exe, or something similar, then double-click that file. The installation process should start, with a window opening to help guide you through the install process.
- In the installation process window, follow the steps provided to install the antivirus program. The install process provides recommended options so the antivirus program will function properly, which in most cases can be accepted as is. The one exception is if the install process recommends to install any toolbars for Internet browsers or other helpful programs for your computer. If prompted to install other software with the antivirus program, uncheck all boxes or decline the install of those extra programs. No additional programs should be needed for the antivirus program to install and run successfully on your computer.
- When the install process is complete, close out of the install window.
- If used, remove the CD or DVD from the computer's disc drive.
The antivirus program is now installed and ready to use. While it may not be required, we recommend restarting your computer so that any modified settings in the operating system can take effect correctly.
Best Free Antivirus Software
Update the antivirus program after installation
Free Anti Antivirus Software Download
Out of the box, antivirus programs are not up-to-date and are missing the latest virus and spyware definitions. Without the latest definitions, the antivirus program will not know about the most recently created viruses and spyware, making your computer vulnerable to an infection.
After installing the antivirus program, we highly recommend you update it with the latest virus and spyware definitions. The updates allow the antivirus program to protect your computer from all viruses and spyware.
Free Antivirus Anti Malware Software
In many cases, the antivirus program automatically checks for and installs the latest updates. If prompted to do so, select Yes to update the antivirus program. If it does not prompt you to update immediately.
Free Antivirus Installation Software Downloads
Enable automatic updates for the antivirus program
By default, most antivirus programs enable the automatic update feature. We strongly recommend automatic updates be enabled to keep the antivirus program up-to-date at all times.
To check if automatic updates are enabled in your antivirus program, follow the general steps below.
- Open the antivirus program.
- Look for a Settings or Advanced Settings button or link in the antivirus program window. If you do not see either option, look for an option like Updates or something similar.
- In the Settings or Updates window, look for an option like Automatically download and apply updates. It may also refer to virus definitions instead of updates.
- For the automatic updates option, check the box for that option, if not already checked.
- Click the Save or Apply button to save the settings change.
Windows Antivirus software, free download
- See our antivirus and virus definitions for further information and related links.